Wednesday, April 21, 2010

DEPLOYMENT MONOTONY...

Greetings,

Yes, it's been a minute (again). Such is life. So, I'm in Iraq and I'm doing okay. Not much going on where I'm at, which is good. I'm enrolled in college and working on staying productive during my shift. My job is to make sure that we have internet and secure and unsecure communications running at all times so when everything is working, my job is just monitoring it. A lot of down time. COLLEGE COLLEGE COLLEGE!!!

I am majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems. I am taking 2 classes right now. I am also working on my business plans for my clothing lines and a Request For Proposal for a photo shoot that I need to do later on this year for my ad campaigns. I don't have any pictures of my clothes that are worth putting on my business websites (which are still in the works) so I definitely need some professional photos taken.

As for my Sisterlocks, I pretty much just braid and band them and wash them every week and leave them in the crinkly hairstyle. They are growing well and I still have my Nappylocks tool but I have only attempted to retighten some in the front (due to laziness and impatience). I really appreciate the patience that all of you who retighten both your own and other people's Sisterlocks (and all types of hair, really) have. I cannot do that for a living!!! My roots are definitely screaming at me so I need to take some of that down time that I have and dedicate it to my hair.

Here are some pictures of what I am working with right now:



Don't laugh!!!! The kissy face was for my fiance!!!! (Yes, I'm lazy and am recycling pictures!!)



Yes, I was also tired!!!! I just came off shift!!! ;)

These pics are just to show you the length of the locs thus far. I will post better pictures later when I can get someone to take them for me. ;)

What do you guys think????


Regards,





Militant Sisterlocks

4 comments:

  1. Just curious - no one says anything to you about your sisterlocks while in uniform?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings,

    Sometimes I get questioned from time to time about them and whether or not they are within regulation and that is when I show them what the reg says (I keep a copy of the page in my pocket while in uniform) and I explain that the Army's definition of "dreadlocks" does not describe what my Sisterlocks are therefore my Sisterlocks are not out of regs. They all have accepted that answer and have not bothered me since (especially because I keep them neat while in uniform and they don't interfere with my headgear or gas mask.

    Regards,

    Militant Sisterlocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on the internet searching for pictures of sisterlocks and happened to come across your blog. I am active duty navy and have been having problems with my hair and regulations since day one. I don't like relaxing my hair mostly because of the cost and secondarily because I am constantly doing PT so I sweat out a perm in no time. I have not permed my hair in almost a year and have been wearing kinky twist but, with the blessing of my husband, have decided that I want to lock my hair up when I get back from C4 training. After reading your blog I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. As previously mentioned I am active duty navy, my husband is too. I am also an officer in the nurse corps. There does not appear to be many young (under 25) black female officers so I feel like I am always being watched. I have been questioned many times about my kinky-twists and I too refer people to the secnavs. Your confidence is just what I need to assure me that I am making a wise decision and that I can be professional with this hairstyle. My husband is deployed and I am facing my first deployment and was worried that I would not be able to maintain the hairstyle away form well, the mall and most of other familiar amenities. Your hair is beautiful and hopefully mine will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the freedom described by sisterlocked women and intend on having them installed in a few months. The problem is that I was considering joining the army reserves and from what I'm reading, sisterlocks may prevent me from graduating from BC. Do you know of this to be true? If this is the case it may really sway my decision against joining the military...

    ReplyDelete