Thursday, September 23, 2010

QUESTION THAT I RECEIVED ABOUT ME WEARING MY SISTERLOCKS IN THE ARMY

Greetings,

I just got a really nice message from someone on Facebook who happened to come across my blog and asked me what I do when people ask me about my hair (I have been asked this a lot and have touched on it a bit) but, being that I gave her a more thorough answer than I normally do, I decided to share it here since this is where most people find me when they are curious about the same thing...

My answer:

***********************************************************************


Greetings,

Thank you for checking out my blog (I need to get on there and update it!!!!)

I have only been in three Army units thus far since transferring over from the Marine Corps in November 2006 and I got my Sisterlocks installed in November 2008 and no one has really questioned me about my locks. When the few that have did, however, I simply quoted the reg, AR 670-1 chapter 1-8a(3)(a) [page 4 of the reg, which is page 27 of the PDF] of the February 3, 2005 update, which states the Army's definition of so-called "Dreadlocks" as:

"...unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts of hair..."

I then explain to the person, who is inquiring, that Sisterlocks are a trademarked system which takes your natural hair and interlocks it into a permanent pattern, similar to braids ( <-- key word) with a metal tool (then show them my hair up close so they can see my roots and the new interlocked "pattern", therefore, they are not matted or twisted, they are interlocked like braids, and they are not unkempt individual parts of hair because they share the same manicured, uniform look as braids, which are allowed to be worn, according to that same paragraph and section, which states:

"Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows lie snugly on the head, and any hair- holding devices comply with the standards in 1–8a(3)(d) below."

I then refer them to the Sisterlocks.com website and explain to them that I can arrange for them to speak with a certified consultant in the area if they would like more clarification (they never do).

Thus far, that descriptive answer has satisfied everyone that I have come across.

One thing that you do have to understand though, is that the regulation can be interpreted differently by different commands so you would still be taking a risk by installing them and Sisterlocks are not cheap to install so, if you choose to get them, just have a plan in place if you are ever confronted and end up having to decide between the Army and your hair (are you going to fight and risk getting kicked out or are you going to cut them off again?).

If you have any more questions, please let me know. I might use this as a new blog post!!!! ;)

Regards,

Tanaya M. Davis


***********************************************************************




I hope that this answers a lot of people's questions but if not, send me a message and I will do my best based on my own experiences with my commands (but all commands are different).



Regards,





Militant Sisterlocks

4 comments:

  1. Hello.
    I am very very thankful for you blog.

    I am seriously considering the Army myself as a 21 year old black female. I am currently in college and will finish in two semesters. Not sure as to whether I will finsh first or finish up the in miliatry.

    To the point: I currently have sisterlocks but they are "unkept". I am dying to have them cut and start sisterlocks again. You blog is proof that SL's are okay in the army.

    Althought I was concerned that when I started basic training that they may tell me to cut them off. But then I figured that wouldn't be a big deal because I could start them over once basic is done.

    Thank so much for this blog. And your locks are lovely by the way.

    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Faith:

    Hi!!!! Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am not familiar with the Army basic training standards because I did not go to Army basic being that I had already went through Marine Corps boot camp and just transferred straight to Army AIT after 5 years in the Marines.

    In my opinion however, I would assume that they would be stricter than a regular unit and probably would not allow Sisterlocks in your hair. If you are planning on cutting your Sisterlocks off and starting over anyway, then perhaps it would be better if you cut them off for basic and AIT and just wore your hair braided or cornrowed or in some other easily manageable natural style (not sure if extensions are allowed in basic but they are in AIT), then go to your first duty station, evaluate the atmosphere (because all units are different and some are stricter than others) and then got your Sisterlocks installed once you have observed the personnel at your first duty station.

    It is always a risk to wear locks in the military but you just need to be prepared for the worst case scenario which is, if your supervisors tell you to cut them off after you have just spent hundreds of dollars on them, what will you do? Just make sure that you are comfortable with whatever decision that you make.

    Regards,

    Militant Sisterlocks



    DISCLAIMER: These are just suggestions of mine and you should always do your own research on what it is that you plan to do. Look at AR 670-1 and talk to some recruiters and be prepared for the worst. Whatever decision you make will be unique to you and you have to be prepared for it. My experiences may be different than what you will experience and I accept no responsibility for whatever outcome occurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your very informative and inspiring blog. I am re-enlisting into the Army and I have 11 mos old thin dreadlocks that I will be taking down over the next two weeks and will have Sisterlocks installed once I'm settled into a new until . I've been reading up on the regs and talking with my recruiter and he said that as long as my hair was neat and off my shoulders, then there shouldn't be a problem. When I was with a Reserve unit, the C.O. didn't have a problem with my thin dreadlocks. However, since Sisterlocks is a neater and thinner method to achieve the same natural hair style as dreadlocks, then that is the definite choice for me.

    Again, thank you for your very informative blog and helpful suggestions on how to maneuver through this natural hair process and the military regulations. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete